Hearty Pot Roast & Pulled Beef
Chuck Roast Recipes
Pot Roast is hearty and warming, especially satisfying during the colder months. These recipes using chuck roast ~ a fattier beef roast ~ create fork tender meat ~ hence ideal to use for Pulled Beef.
Beef roast (and meatloaf) are among our favorite make-ahead meals, as they are even better the next day!
If you prefer a leaner roast, try this Perfect Rump Roast Recipe, also incredibly easy, tender and flavorful ~ especially as it sits in the broth made while roasting in chopped onion and grape juice ~ yes you read that correctly! Grape juice provides a perfect sweet flavor for roast beef! Meats + sweets (fruit) are the perfect 'pear!'
For more great recipes, be sure to check out Meats & Sweets ~ A High Vitality Diet, available on Amazon in paperback, Kindle, and as an E-book.
Meat & Fruit centered meal inspiration can be found here.
PLEASE NOTE: This recipe was modified December, 2021, eliminating salt. Salt ~ sodium + chloride ~ is a nonessential nutrient which increases risk for many diseases, especially in conjunction with too little potassium in the diet. We recommend getting a much greater ratio of potassium to sodium (K>Na) ~ leaving the use of salt when cooking up to readers. Some older recipes on this site or our Meats & Sweets blog and in our Meats & Sweets book still contain salt, however, we no longer cook with salt.
Beef Pot Roast
INGREDIENTS FOR POT ROAST
- 2-4 pound chuck roast
- 2 tsp. beef tallow, extra virgin olive oil (XVOO) or other cooking fat
- 1-2 sweet or yellow onions, sliced in 1/4 in. slices
- 3-4 carrots, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, then into half or thirds
- 2 stalks celery, cut in chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed, peeled, then cut in half or quartered
- 4 small Yukon gold or other potatoesor peeled and chopped winter
- 1 medium to large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2-3 inch chunks
- 1 small can tomato paste
- ~1/2 cup red wine
- Pepper (& other seasonings you like, such as paprika or rosemary)
STEPS FOR MAKING POT ROAST
- Pre-heat oven to 375º
- Heat a big oven proof pot with a lid like our good old reliable Le Creuset Dutch Oven Pot (very worth the investment ~ ours is quite old!)
- Add cooking fat
- Add onions, and sauté a few minutes
- Add garlic
- Stir, cooking until onions just begin to turn soft, then remove
- Season beef w/ pepper ~ and any other seasonings being used
- While pot is still hot, add roast
- Sear each side, 1-2 minutes per side
- Turn heat to low
- Add tomato paste and wine, smearing the paste onto the roast
- Add onions and vegetables, lifting roast up to get some of the onions and veg underneath (or remove roast, add veg then add beef back, making sure to get most of the tomato paste onto the meat)
- Add potatoes, nudging some under the beef w/ the other veg (softens and boosts their deliciousness!)
- Turn off heat, cover, and place in oven for about 20 minutes, then turn to around 300º and let it roast for 2-3 hours. The oven temp can go as low as 250º if you want to leave it in even longer.
- To test for Pot Roast doneness, grab a couple forks. The beef should easily tear apart. Use both forks to tear it all apart so that the meat will continue to marinate in the sauce until serving, and as it sits overnight.
Awesome Beef Pot Roast made with chuck roast, seared on the outside is fork tender w/ potatoes & veg that absorb the flavorful fat while cooking
Pulled Beef Roast Variation from Meats & Sweets ~ A High Vitality Diet (Book 1)
INGREDIENTS FOR POT ROAST VARIATION
- Cooking fat ~ about 2 tsp.
- 1 2-4 pound beef roast ~ rump, bottom or top round works
- 1 medium to large sweet or yellow onion, sliced
- Pepper, and any other desired seasonings (onion or garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, rosemary are all good ~ choose your favorites or just use pepper)
- 3/4 - 1 cup Concord grape juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
STEPS FOR POT ROAST RECIPE VARIATION FROM MEATS & SWEETS
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Heat oven-proof pot like the Le Creuset Dutch Oven (shown above, right)
- Add cooking fat
- Add onion, and cook a couple minutes; meanwhile season roast liberally with pepper, and any other seasonings being used
- Cook about 2-3 minutes per side until seared, or just turning brown
- Add juice and vinegar
- Remove from heat, cover, and place in oven
- Roast about 20 minutes at 375º, then turn to about 250-275º and roast for 3-4 hours (if a shorter cooking time is needed, turn to about 300º)
- Test for doneness as above, using two forks to pull the meat apart like pulled pork, or use a thermometer. Internal temperature should be about 145º for medium to medium-rare, less for more rare. Slow roast will likely be more cooked, yet quite tender. Slice instead of shredding with a fork if preferred as shown in the picture above.
- I love adding a few chopped prunes, or a handful of currants or raisins to slow roasted beef roasts and pulled beef. The fruits add a nice sweetness.
- Add cut up sweet peppers &/or fresh or canned tomatoes
- Add chopped carrot, celery, and sweet potatoes or butternut squash, or other root vegetables like turnips or rutabaga ~ or try a couple chopped beets
This 5.5 Qt. Cast Iron Enamel Le Creuset Pot has a 5-start rating with over 800 reviews for a reason! It's an investment you will make once, and with proper care, you can keep it in the family for generations!
Check out more cookware by clicking the link below.
Purchases made through any links provided is greatly appreciated, and provides a small commission, w/o extra charge to you! A win-win!
Leftover roast makes for a quick meal