Refreshing Carrot Salad Recipes
I love Carrot Salad. Period. I just love how simple, refreshing, and invigorating shredded carrots with some citrus, honey and fruit can be, especially in the morning, or as an afternoon snack.
Carrot Salads help balance blood sugar, and aid the elimination of endotoxins from the gut. Unfortunately, many consider carrots to be too high in natural sugars. It's a claim that is not merited. They are low-glycemic load. Plus, they really can take the edge off when feeling a little hungry.
And, it bears repeating, they are so simple to prepare ahead of time, and so refreshing and invigorating!
According to Ray Peat, it can help flush out excess estrogen to prevent being reabsorbed into the system, while coconut oil can increase metabolism. The net result of regular consumption is to regulate hormone and thyroid function.
Carrot Salad Basic Recipe
- 1# Carrots
- 1 lime, lemon, or 2 - 3 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1/2 Packet Pruvit 1:4:3 Virgin Coconut MCT Oil blend, or use your own blend: Mix 2/3 MCT oil to 1/3 Coconut oil, and it should remain liquid. Use about 2 Tbsp. total of oil, +/-.
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (also good for blood sugar balance)
- Pinch salt, optional
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Drizzle honey to taste ~ around 1 Tbsp.+/-
- Peel / clean carrots.
- Shred in a food processor or with a grater.
- Combine ingredients in a bowl.
- Add any of the following additional fruit or variations as desired.
- I make the Carrot Salad Basic Recipe all at once to have ready for a few days. The coconut and raisins soften over time. When ready to eat, I like to add 1/2 a peeled and chopped apple.
- For more substance, Carrot Salad is good topped with cottage cheese.
- Also good with fresh apricot with or instead of raisins.
- Skip the raisins and citrus, and add chopped canned unsweetened pineapple, and some of the pineapple juice.
- Use apple cider vinegar in lieu of the citrus.
Savory Carrot Salad
Carrot Salad can be made more savory, and served with your main entree. I don't do this as often, but I did have the recipe in one of my earlier cookbooks.
- Peel and clean 1# of carrots as above
- Add juice of 1 lime
- Add 1 - 2 Tbsp. XVOO
- Stir in 1-2 chopped scallions, and fresh chopped parsley
- Season with a pinch of salt, a little ground cumin, and a pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
- Also good with a little hint of cinnamon and/or clove, but optional
- Add honey if desired, or skip it to keep it more savory
|Basic Carrot Salad Recipe w/ Chicken Stir Fry
|Carrot Salad w/ Apricots in lieu of raisins