Refreshing Carrot Salad Recipes
I love Carrot Salad. Period. I just love how simple, refreshing, and invigorating shredded carrots with some citrus, honey and fruit can be, especially in the morning, or as an afternoon snack.
Carrot Salads help balance blood sugar, and aid the elimination of endotoxins from the gut. Unfortunately, many consider carrots to be too high in natural sugars. It's a claim that is not merited. They are low-glycemic load. Plus, they really can take the edge off when feeling a little hungry.
And, it bears repeating, they are so simple to prepare ahead of time, and so refreshing and invigorating!
According to Ray Peat, it can help flush out excess estrogen to prevent being reabsorbed into the system, while coconut oil can increase metabolism. The net result of regular consumption is to regulate hormone and thyroid function.
Carrot Salad Basic Recipe + Variations
- 1# Carrots
- 1 lime, lemon, or 2 - 3 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. XVOO or unrefined liquid coconut oil
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (also good for blood sugar balance)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2-3 tsp. honey
- Peel / clean carrots
- Shred in a food processor or grater, or make shavings w/ a potato peeler
- Combine ingredients in a bowl
- Add any of the following additional fruit or variations as desired
- When ready to eat, add 1/2 a peeled and chopped apple
- Add mandarin oranges
- Add unsweetened canned pineapple along with some of the pineapple juice
- Add 1-2 Tbsp. shredded coconut
- Add chopped pecans
- Add sliced celery ~ with or without chopped apple
- Sub fresh or dried apricot in lieu of raisins
- Use apple cider vinegar in lieu of the citrus
- Add thin sliced fresh mint, basil or parsley
- Try a Waldorf Salad ~ one of my favorite pre/between meal snacks!
Savory Carrot Salad
Carrot Salad can be made more savory, and served with your main entree. I don't do this as often, but I did have the recipe in one of my earlier cookbooks.
- Peel and clean 1# of carrots as above
- Add juice of 1 lime
- Add 1 - 2 Tbsp. XVOO
- Stir in 1-2 chopped scallions, and fresh chopped parsley
- Season with a little ground cumin, and a pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
- Try with shredded beets
- Also good with a little hint of cinnamon and/or clove, but optional
- Add honey if desired, or skip it to keep it more savory
enjoy carrot salad with your main entree!
Basic Carrot Salad Recipe w/ Chicken Stir Fry
Friday Baked Fish Dinner ~ Sweet & Russet Potatoes, Broccoli & Carrot Salad